When the Business Insider is doing an article on weddings, you know there's a crap-ton of money involved. They list the 12 most expensive weddings ever (some adjusted for inflation), and here they are from "cheapest" to most expensive.
12. Catharine Zeta-Jones & Michael Douglas - They spent $1.5 million dollars in 2005; $1.6 million when adjusted for inflation.
11. Katie Holmes & Tom Cruise - $2 million in 2006; $2.2 million when adjusted for inflation.
10. Christina Aguilera & Jordan Bratman - Money does not buy eternal togetherness - the two are now divorced. In 2005 their wedding cost $2 million, or $2.2 million when adjusted for inflation.
9. Elizabeth Hurley & Arun Nayar - It seems like Hurley changes men frequently, so it seems short-sighted to me that her multi-cultural wedding that ended in divorce cost $2.5 million in 2007, or $2.6 million when adjusted for inflation. (click the link for their wedding photos)
8. Heather Mills & Paul McCartney - proof that money can buy misery. In 2002 their wedding costs were $3 million dollars, or $3.6 when adjusted for inflation. That's $1 million more than #9! Of course you know they were divorced and McCartney recently remarried.
7. Elizabeth Taylor & Larry Fortensky - in 1991 they she paid $2.5 million; adjusted for inflation, that's $4 million. (click the link for their wedding details) The two divorced soon after.
6. Liza Minelli & David Gest - Their wedding cost $3.5 million in 2002, or $4.2 million when adjusted for inflation. Marriage ended in divorce.
Now, with pictures!
5. Chelsea Clinton & Marc Mezvinsky - she's the former President's daughter, and he's an investment banker. It's no wonder that that their wedding cost a shocking $5 million dollars.
4. Coleen McLoughlin & Wayne Rooney - WHO? Wayne Rooney is the highest-paid footballer (soccer player) ever, and Coleen McLoughlin is the working-class woman who married him. Their wedding cost - ready? - $8 million dollars! Guests were treated to time on a yacht, and five-star hotels during their stay in Italy.
3. Kate Middleton & Prince William - I don't have to explain who they are, or how big their wedding was, right? Expensive wedding #4 cost $8 million, while this one cost $34 million dollars. $34 million.
2. Vanisha Mittal & Amit Bhatia - Step aside, British peasants, this wedding cost $60 million in 2005, or $66 million when adjusted for inflation. She's the daughter of a steel magnate, he's a big time banker. They had five days of wedding merriment, and invitations presented in silver boxes.
1. Lady Diana & Prince Charles - in 1981 their wedding cost $48 million. Adjusted for inflation, that's $110 million. These numbers are becoming meaningless. I don't even understand how I could get an event to cost $110 million. Even with their back-up wedding cakes and 25 ft. taffeta train, it still seems like an absurd amount to pay for a wedding. Of course, it was an absurd amount because the two divorced in the fashion of a true royal scandal.